2021 Operations Investigations Manual: Chapter 4 – Sampling
There were recent update requirements for FDA inspector behavior, Inspection Operation Manual FDA 2021.
- FDA inspectors started sampling Zone 1 and Zone 2 during their inspections for Listeria Mono. and Salmonella. Please find the complete Inspection Operation Manual FDA 2021 here, and there is guidance on sampling sites for FDA inspectors to take environmental samples in Chapter 4.
- In 2020, Salmonella is the No.1 reason among all microbial-related recalls, and Listeria Mono. from the environment is reported by FDA as the No.2 reason causing recalls.
Top Three Lessons from the Food Transformation Industry
According to Global Trade, “it’s time to let technology take over most of your administrative and routine work.” The top three lessons include:
- Think About Continuous Quality Control
- Move Away From Manual Processes
- Upgrade Your Supplier Management Practices
FDA to Begin Testing Samples of Salinas-Grown Lettuce for E. Coli and Salmonella
Food Safety News reports on a sampling program performed in Salinas CA, that “will test iceberg, leaf and romaine lettuce and run from May through November 2021.” “FDA laboratories plan to test about 500 post-harvest samples of iceberg, leaf and romaine lettuce, with each sample consisting of 10 subsamples”
FSIS Changes Mask, Social Distancing Requirements Effective Immediately
According to Food Safety Tech, “following CDC’s latest guidance announcing that fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or social distancing, FSIS issued new guidance for agency personnel in plants, laboratories and in-commerce.”